• River: New River
• Surface Area: 4,500 Acres
• Volume: 232,000 Acre Feet
• Maximum Depth: 21 feet
• Length: 21 Miles
Claytor Lake in Pulaski County, Virginia, is a 4,500 acre, 21 mile long reservoir on the New River created for a hydroelectric project of Appalachian Power Company. It is named for W. Graham Claytor, Sr. (1886–1971) of Roanoke, Virginia, a vice president of Appalachian Power who had supervised construction of the Claytor Dam which created the lake.
Popular activities at Claytor Lake include powerboating, sailing and various watersports.
Each year in November, the lake is drawn down about 3 feet for maintenance. During this period, usually two weeks, it may be impossible to launch boats from the Claytor Lake boat launch, and fishing from the shore is difficult. Those with larger boats may instead wish to use a public boat landing that is available off Bear Drive. The lake level will return to normal over time.
Three miles of Claytor Lake's shoreline is bordered by Claytor Lake State Park, operated by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Hiwassee Trestle, on the New River Trail, a former railroad line which is now a rail trail, crosses Claytor Lake, and is part of the linear New River Trail State Park. The bridge was built in 1931 by Virginia Bridge and Iron Co. of Roanoke, a subsidiary of the Norfolk and Western Railway. The trestle is at 951 ft long.